Any furniture will definitely show its flaws when you have been using it for years, especially the one that you use daily and placed in a high-traffic area. One of the pieces of furniture that might show a tired appearance is a dining room table since it’s possible to face scratches, spills, stains, and other possible debris.
Of course, whether these things happen or you just simply want to get a different face of the table, you can paint it by yourself. Below we have a quick and simple tutorial on how to paint a dining room table by yourself!
(We also recommend this to read: Elegant Dining Room Ideas for Your Inspiration)
How to Paint a Dining Room Table
First of all, there are some tools and supplies that you have to prepare before doing this process.
- Protective gear (working gloves, goggles, mask)
- Drop cloth
- Soft cloth, paper towel, or hand vacuum cleaner
- Paint rollers
- Polyurethane gloss finish (optional)
- Painter tape (optional)
- Spray paint (optional)
Please make sure you’re in a well-ventilated space and wear protective gear since you’re going to get in contact with chemical products.
- Lay a drop cloth around the area to prevent spills.
- Use sandpaper to clean your paint area to make the painting process goes smoothly. Please ensure that the surface is free from any stains, debris, and previous coating.
- For a surface that you don’t want to paint, use tape to mark that specific area.
- Once you’re done, wipe the residue with a paper towel, soft cloth, or hand vacuum cleaner.
(We also recommend this to read: Adorable Transitional Dining Room Ideas That’ll Inspire You)
The purpose of priming itself is to prepare the paint to spread evenly and smoothly by using primer paint.
- Apply a thin layer of primer paint to the table that has been sanded.
- Coat evenly to every part of the surface. If there’s a small part that needs more detailed work, use spray paint or a small brush to reach that part.
- Let it dry before processing to the next step.
(We also recommend this to read: Alluring Simple Dining Room Ideas for Your Inspiration)
#3 START PAINTING
There are various types of paints that you can use based on your needs and the type of material of the table.
a. For latex and regular paints, usually, you can mix some colors. However, in some cases, the finished hand feel and texture is quite difficult to clean and leave wipe marks when you clean it.
b. For oil-based paints, some people prefer this more because it’s more durable and easy to clean. The minus point from this paint type is that it smells and takes more time to dry. Also, oil-based paints have limited color variations that might not be your style.
The steps are:
- Use a brush to apply the paint over the surface. You may need about two layers to make a flawless finish.
- Use rollers to wipe the brush strokes for the last coat if the first two layers are not smooth enough.
(We also recommend this to read: Get Stylish with These Industrial Dining Room Ideas)
If you love the result, you could just stop until the last step.
- If you would like to add another protection to the table, cover it with another layer of polyurethane.
- Let it dry for about 48 or 72 hours before you use it again.
- Once it’s dry, clean the surface once again to make sure that you get your desired dining table.
(We also recommend this to read: Attractive Gray Dining Room Ideas for Minimalist Look)
We hope that this tutorial can inspire you to do this DIY project by yourself and at your home comfortably. Happy painting!