The dining table is the main item in a dining room that needs to be the centerpiece and looks outstanding. Choosing a dining set is important to make your dining room looks more attractive. Although it’s ‘just’ a table, it can give a more aesthetic look if you choose the one that matches the concept of your home. Moreover, different materials will also enhance the overall look in your dining room.
Of course, you can just purchase a dining set and decorate your dining room with it. However, it would be more perfect to choose the one that matches the dining room itself. We’re sure that you don’t want to buy the one that is too big, too small, or even the wrong shape that will only make your dining room feels more cramped or looks unbalanced.
(You might also like these: Adorable Transitional Dining Room Ideas That’ll Inspire You)
If you’re wondering how to choose the perfect dining table, you’re on the right page because we have some easy guides on how to choose a perfect dining table on your own!
1. Dining Room Size
First of all, you have to make sure the size of the dining room because this will be the base to choose the right dining table shape and size. What you have to make sure of is:
- The overall dining room size and shape like rectangular, square, narrow rectangular.
- The hallway size that you will use as an entrance to add the dining table. If you have a small hallway without an alternative way, you might want to consider choosing a smaller dining table.
- Consider the piece of furniture that you have in a dining room since you will use this to measure the distance between the dining table and the furniture itself.
- If you already have some big furniture, you have two options on whether to buy a small table or move the furniture to another room.
2. Dining Table Size and Shape
Once you know your dining room size, it’s time to get a new dining table that matches well with the size. The bigger the dining table the higher the height it has, so you might want to consider this point as well. Before choosing a perfect dining table, referring to point number 1:
- Please make sure that there’s enough space between the dining table and the wall about 42 – 48 inches. It’s because you have to make diners feel easy and comfortable when they get in and out without feeling cramped and squashed.
- If you have other furniture, please measure the distance between the table and the furniture, not the wall. The basic rule is the same, to make sure that everyone gets easier access to sit and get up.
- If you want to create a more space-saving look, try to use a dining bench instead of normal dining chairs because a bench is less bulky.
As for the shape, there are some common shapes that you can choose based on the dining room shape. Those shapes are:
- Rectangular: this dining table shape is the common one so you can find various styles, sizes, and designs of it. This shape is absolutely a perfect choice to fill in a long and narrow dining room. If you have a long and narrow traditional dining room, you might opt for this option. You can also use this shape as a divider if you’re planning to make an open concept and to define each area.
- Square: for people who have a smaller room, a square dining table is a perfect choice. This shape fits perfectly for a small dining room in a square shape. The shape itself makes an intimate atmosphere because it doesn’t have much distance between each diner.
- Round: a round dining table feels a lot cozier and a great space-saving option that you can choose if you have a square room. Just like a square one, this dining table shape gives an intimate ambiance because there’s no head on it so much easier to communicate and reach the platter.
- Oval: This option is great if you have a rectangular dining room and want to create a unique look. Instead of a rectangular table, an oval shape brings a more unique traditional look.
(You might also like these: Get Stylish with These Industrial Dining Room Ideas)
3. Match the Concept
This one is definitely a must because the more you match the dining table concept, the more it looks stunning. The concept in this case means the material, color, and finish. For those who have a modern dining room, a stylish dining table with a marble top is a great choice. Meanwhile, for homeowners who love earthy elements, a wooden dining table can be a good option. Well, a wooden dining table goes very well with any home decor style so you don’t have to worry about choosing this material.
(You might also like these: Elegant Dining Room Ideas for Your Inspiration)
4. Ensure the Material
Dining table materials will also affect the final look of the dining room. There are tons of materials that you can pick based on your budget and preference. Some popular materials that are commonly used to make a dining table are solid wood, reclaimed wood, glass, stone, laminate, and metal. Of course, each material has its pros and cons but again, you can choose the one that you really need.
(You might also like these: Alluring Simple Dining Room Ideas for Your Inspiration)
5. Spare Elbow and Leg Room
Another important point that you have to make sure to provide comfort for every diner is elbow and leg rooms. A round dining table usually feels more comfortable because usually it has a pedestal base which will make more space for legs. Some rectangular dining tables also have a comfortable leg room but again, you have to match it with the number of diners you want to have.
(You might also like these: Attractive Gray Dining Room Ideas for Minimalist Look)
The dining table is the focal point of a dining room so it’s very important to choose the one that can make your dining room looks more attractive and still looks balance with the size of the dining room.